1) To conduct applied and basic research in support of fisheries and aquaculture of both shellfish and finfish species.
2) To disseminate research results to the shellfish and finfish industries, and to serve as an information source for the general public.
3) To work cooperatively with shellfish and finfish industries, and state and federal agencies for the appropriate utilization and development of these resources.
4) To provide training opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students in marine and coastal sciences.
5) To provide interdisciplinary opportunities for long-term research in marine and coastal systems of southern New Jersey , especially Delaware Bay .