- To conduct applied and basic research in support of fisheries and aquaculture of both shellfish and finfish species.
- To disseminate research results to the shellfish and finfish industries, and to serve as an information source for the general public.
- To work cooperatively with shellfish and finfish industries, and state and federal agencies for the appropriate utilization and development of these resources.
- To provide training opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students in marine and coastal sciences.
- To provide interdisciplinary opportunities for long-term research in marine and coastal systems of southern New Jersey , especially Delaware Bay.